Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas Time in Arizona


Tis the season to be jolly! El Penasco, the restaurant Swede performs at on Fridays and Saturdays, put up their tree... the Charlie Brown Christmas tree, that is. Ha, the thing is leaning over Swede, I know you probably can't tell, but I got such a kick out of it. Maria, our favorite waitress said she did everything she could to fix it. Where is my Aunt Nancy, and can we get some of Lesley's decorations? Next to Swede is a vihuela, a Spanish descendant of the guitar. Great for Renaissance music.


As the holidays come into full swing, invites are flying for festive gatherings. Saturday after Swede's performance, I got us lost trying to find my friend Cliff's house. We arrived after they had already finished the flight of white wines. Cliff is a teacher friend of mine that I met at New Samaritan last year. We have been camping and Kayaking with Cliff and he is like an extended member of our family. We all adore him! How could you not? Look at him here, enthusiastically reading us the label of this fine red wine.

A votre service! As you can see, we each have a wine judging sheet, so that we can write down the names of the wines we try and rate them on a scale from 1-5.


Cliff is a History teacher and loves to take us back to the past. Zabrina and Wyatt had their first taste of Neil Diamond! "Hello my friend, hello.... just called to let you know... I think about you every night... da da da... hello.... "

Tosa, Kristina, Nicole

And some oldies that I know the words to but can't necessarily identify the original artists, like "la la la la la la la la la means, I love you!"

Beannie, Tosha and Cindy

"I'll leave my home in Arizona, and head for the Frisco Bay. 750 miles I'll roam, just to make Santa Cruz my home. Sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the tide roll away, oooo, sitting on the dock of the bay, wasting time!" By the way, Swede and I are both applying for jobs in the areas south of Frisco. I'm applying for Stanford to study Sustainability Engineering, and there is a music conservatory Swede is interested in. We hope to move there by the end of December.


Before it was all over, we each got a fortune cookie. Mine said: "Genius does what it must. Talent does what it can... in bed!" BTW, Wyatt had Root Beer wine and Beannie had Orange Cream. The people I actually labeled above were the ones who stayed until the end and I was able to write down their info in my address book so as not to forget their names!!! These are all teachers at Cliff's school. What an amazing staff- made me want to work with them! And of course, they are special ed! Ha- that's my area of specialty... it takes a special person!

Thanks for the memories, Cliff!

5 comments:

Ruth said...

Some good good times with friends!

And San Francisco, huh?? That's great, good luck with the application! That has to be one of the nicest places to live anywhere in the world. Aaah, northern California, so close to Oregon, where I lived and saw stardust for the first time at 7,000 feet. Mt. Shasta, an overnight campout by myself, woke up and made coffee over an open fire and watched the mountain. Some things you never forget.

Ruth said...

I was not ON Mt. Shasta, but looking at it from Oregon. :)

Anonymous said...

Rachel,

What a wonderful life full of song, dance and wine. My wine would have to be memories. But I could figure out a way to enhance them with the music.

da da da da la la la la da la da la

The Delfonics. I love that song. Listened to it all the time as a child.

[Verse 1:]
Many guys have come to you
With a line that wasn't true
And you passed them by (passed them by)
Now you're in the center ring
And their lines don't mean a thing
Why don't you let me try (let me try)
Now I don't wear a diamond ring
I don't even have a song to sing
All I know is
[Chorus:]
La la la la la la la la la means
I love you
[1:] Oh, baby please now
[2:] Oh... baby

La la la la la la la la la means
I love you
[Verse 2:]
If I ever saw a girl
That I needed in this world
You are the one for me (one for me)
Let me hold me in my arms
Girl, and thrill you with my charms
I'm sure you will see (you will see)
The things I am sayin' are true
And the way I explain them to you
Listen to me
Instrumental break
[Partial verse:]
The things I am sayin' are true
And the way I explain them to you, yes to you
Listen to me
Coda [repeat to fade:]
La la la la la la la la la means
I love you
[1:] Oh, you'll have to understand
[2:] Come on and take my hand

David-

Ginnie Hart said...

You, the professional student, Rachel! You really do take after G'ma Hart!!!

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Really, Aunt Ruthie? All by yourself, camping? What on earth were you doing in Oregon all by yourself? When was this? Yes, Swede and I have been doing nothing the last couple of days but trying to get jobs and figure out where we are going to live. It's so exciting!

David, I was inspired to look up the Delfonics on YouTube and sure enough, I actually saw them perform it! www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUeJiapifSc
How sweet!

Yes, I am always figuring out ways that I can learn more. My knitting adventures right now are really starting to pay off. Soon, I'll be making gloves with Norwegian Designs.