Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Off on a Tangent

I am constantly dreaming and going off on tangents in my imagination. It's how I come up with all my brilliant ideas. I write many of them down in my journal so that I can go back to them later and figure out ways to incorporate my dreams into this physical reality.

Well, it's really hot here in Phoenix- obscenely! But our second-floor apartment stays nice and cool as the AC kicks day and night. There is a faulty sensor on it, so sometimes it just never shuts off. Swede loves it because it is freezing, and if it's over 60 degrees, Swede starts to sweat (that Swedish blood).

As I was gazing out the window, I fell into a trance as the wind picked up the leaves on the trees and shook them so. I wrote this poem:

If I am inside, looing out at the trees,
softly gazing, seeing all at once,
the wind may billow, and
suddenly, the trees are communicating to me.

They say the breeze is intoxicating,
erotic vibrations of bliss emerge
in the quaking and trembling
expressions of an ancient dance.

I am captivated, their only audience,
I am invited to share this exchange
of heat and vibration, manifested
as uncontrollable shivers.

Brrrr... it could be cold out
there, were my eyes the only
windows to this world.

5 comments:

Gipsy Ing said...

Very beautiful poem, Rachel. Hope you will continue to be inspired to write more.
I love watching trees, espeically how the wind moves through them. It can be like being in a trance. There are not enough trees here in LA and I do miss that. But I seem to rather watch the clouds from my window.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Speaking of which, today you would not believe how beautiful the sunrise was!!!

It had just peeped up over the horizon, and there was a mass of clouds hanging over it like a short mountain. The rays of the sun surged out in all directions passing through the cloud and emerging on the other side. The cloud defracted the light so perfectly, the rays were actually visible.

I have been writing a lot lately!!!

Gipsy Ing said...

Ah, the sunrise sounds soo beautiful. I can see it in my mind's eye and brings tears to my eyes. It is the moments like this that I miss the Valley of the Sun.
And here in LA, I woke up to see the marine clouds swirling with a light cool breeze. And even though I am not at the beach, I can picture the seagulls and shorebirds having their morning feasts with a few fishermen casting out their lines on the pier.

I am looking for Seth Speaks. Not sure if I will be able to find it at the library but I am going tonight and ask for assistance from the librarian directly.

Ruth said...

It's great that you're writing, Rach, and this is so lovely. I was just out walking on the property this morning, listening to the wind in the poplars high up. They sound like water. I guess we take after Grandma Hart in loving trees. I always feel as though the poplars are waving at me.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Ingrid, I am having trouble finding the book, too. So, I suppose that adds in the enthusiasm of reading it- since it's difficult to get one's hands on! thanks for writing about the sea gulls, fisherman and ocean... twice this summer I had the luxury of adoring it intimately- I let every moment sink in, hoping it will burn an image so deeply, I can return to it at any time.

Aunt Ruth- I love thinking about trees waving at me. That's how it puts me in a trance- it's like they know I'm looking and they signal all of my attention to them. I could go on hearing stories of trees and oceans...