Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Road Less Traveled

My friend Jeff is at a crossroads in his life. Swede has been teaching him Music Theory off-and-on now for a year or so, hoping that Jeff would use it to try to get into music school. Jeff has not been studying guitar for long, and his playing is exquisite.

Jeff went to Trader Joe's to get a job, because he heard they have the best benefits and get raises three times a year. Some store clerks make $18 an hour. It was all sounding really good, but during the interview, when they asked him what he was interested in, he felt a dischord that haunted him. He couldn't really think of anything, so out comes, "Wine... I like learning about wines." It is very apparent to him in that moment, that this is not the road leading to his dreams.

So, over a glass of wine, Swede, Jeff and I toasted Jeff's decision to go to music school!

Here's to you!

The Road Less Traveled—by Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

6 comments:

Ruth said...

It's good that Jeff was listening to that voice inside.

I have always loved this poem, and I have to remind myself that what I like about it is the reminder to listen to my own voice. But I used to avoid the rush of the crowd partly for its own sake, a pride thing, and I don't think that's the most authentic way to live.

As we discussed recently, sometimes what the crowd loves is worthy of attention. It just takes lots of thought and reflection to stay authentic.

Gipsy Ing said...

A beautiful story with Jeff. I wish him much luck and joy in his new found pursuit.
As Ruth says, it is important to listen to our inner hearts because when we do so it brings out the truth of our lives. I have been doing much of that lately and strangely (or not strangely) my heart is a little heavy, it has much it needs to tell. So with the three day weekend coming up, I would like to find a place outside of LA to go for some heart to heart inspiration.

And the Road Less Travelled is one of my all time favorite poems! I know it by heart.

And on another note. This adventure with finding Seth Speaks is quite the story now. I tried a few shops in Santa Monica. No luck. I went on eBay. And yah!!!! I was ahead but three seconds from bid closing I was outbidded!!! Then last night, Junnel graciously gave me a ride down to Long Beach (he lives in that area) so I could check out the largest used bookstore on the west coast. I actually arrived after closing but they let me in. Found the author but not Seth Speaks. Sooooo.... tonight, I will buy it online like at Amazon (one of the huge massed book domains).

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Aunt Ruth, that reminds me of the conversation about which pair of shoes to buy! And, whether or not to read a best seller! And as far as the crowd knowing what's good- I really do hope the crowd does figure out what's good in this world- because that's what the world needs! In order for that to happen, we ALL have to be leaders:)

Ingrid, darling, I am thinking to myself, do not give up on your quest for this book! It seems that maybe in this little spot you go to this weekend maybe you'll find it? I'm not in any hurry... I can wait as long as it takes for this book to materialize for you:) I didn't know you had this one memorized! Heavy heart, huh? A new moon is beginning- time to let it all go! Swede and I are coming to California Thursday, can we join you on your journey- or rather, would you like to join us- we can drive!!! Pleeeeasssseeee!!!!

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Aunt Ruth, that reminds me of the conversation about which pair of shoes to buy! And, whether or not to read a best seller! And as far as the crowd knowing what's good- I really do hope the crowd does figure out what's good in this world- because that's what the world needs! In order for that to happen, we ALL have to be leaders:)

Ingrid, darling, I am thinking to myself, do not give up on your quest for this book! It seems that maybe in this little spot you go to this weekend maybe you'll find it? I'm not in any hurry... I can wait as long as it takes for this book to materialize for you:) I didn't know you had this one memorized! Heavy heart, huh? A new moon is beginning- time to let it all go! Swede and I are coming to California Thursday, can we join you on your journey- or rather, would you like to join us- we can drive!!! Pleeeeasssseeee!!!!

rauf said...

Hi Rachel ( i am pronouncing RAAKHEL ) Been away, spent time in the forests of south India, trekking, met tribals, pleasant and unpleasant experiences.
lot of catching up to do.

For your ideas white templates is lot better than the black one.

i wish your friend Jeff all the luck and success in his life. We make adjustments and compromises to stay alive Rachel. But its not fun to be too careful and too safe, there is a thrill in risks we take, sometimes they pay off sometimes don't. and its never too late to turn back and take another route.

Hope you are doing fine Rachel

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Rauf, it is nice to see your are back! I am looking forward to hearing about your journeys!!! I'll come check out your blog as soon as I have a chance- which probably won't be long:)

I have been having many adventures myself this summer- none too risky- but amazing none-the-less! I'll be posting about them soon:)