Thursday, October 11, 2007

Theory of the Red Nebula

My life is mysterious and mystical. One day I am posting about a nebula-like space ship that has come to probe me in my dreams, and the next I am drawn to a flier for the theatrical production of the Theory of the Red Nebula. It speaks to me- someone is trying to expand upon the typical theater production and create something new and different. They are looking for someone who has something special to share.

Hmmm... I'll have to jot that number down and see what this is all about! Swede writes and has directed at least one of his plays, and we have been doing multimedia productions in an effort to move in the direction of incorporating it all into one multi-sensory dynamic theatrical production. Is this person doing the same thing?

Gabrielle Rulnick is the director's name. This is her final project as an ASU student. She is a vibrant visionary with a knack for articulating the intent behind this consciousness-raising production. I am sucked in by her, and she by me! I had her at "I teach yoga." She sets up a schedule and asks me to lead several workshops in my area of expertise, specifically:

"What I would love is for you to consider how you might wish to approach the "ensemble building" portion of the rehearsal process. This is the process through which the cast becomes one organic and kinetic entity. For me this is often the most special part of being involved in a production. That said, I may find myself as a participant - rather than observer. I know this is what I need to continue to raise the frequency and tap into the energy that is creating this work. I feel at times that I am merely a vessel. In this way (which let me tell you is NOT a typical theatre approach) I know you are here for an important reason."

That was a pretty tall order, so I got right down to work, designing a workshop that incorporated theater games I learned from Brandon of 4-H last year when he was a visiting teacher in my Drama class at New Samaritan High, guided meditation, yoga, a sharing circle, partner yoga and a beautiful savasana. It was as if all of my crazy, seemingly disconnected activities I had pursued in the previous year had somehow miraculously come together for this specific purpose! As Gabrielle said, "Interestingly enough, things are taking shape rather naturally."

Words cannot express what an incredible experience that first workshop was for all of us. Yummy!

Just a few workshops in, Gabrielle asked if I would lead the cast in yoga at the "top of the show." Of course! Then, we'll all go into savasana, holding hands in a circle on stage... when we come out of it, we'll be in the show.

Tonight is opening night!

Prism Theater
Oct. 11, 12, 13 *** 7:00 pm ***
NE Corner University/Broadway
ASU building in the back of
Hollywood Video parking lot


A staged reading of a new work infused with live music, media, and the intention of consciousness raising.

Free admission with donation of clothing, food, toys, arts supplies, etc. to benefit Tumbleweeds and 1n10 youth outreach programs.

6 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

You are just so full of so many things, RK. It's a wonder to me that you don't burst! :)

rauf said...

Ra Chel, we mayhave differneces in approach, but the goal is same.
i wish you all the success in your noble cause of making this world a better place to live.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

I know Aunt Ginnie, I am amazed I don't burst, too! But, you are definitely have a nice ride in your life, too:D

That's so sweet of you, Rauf. I know that the small things we do seem insignificant, but even if we affect one person, it makes all the difference- eeeeeee

Ruth said...

I agree that your energy is never-ending, RK! And I also wish you all the best success in your creative efforts. We need more positive creative energy in our silly world.

Dave said...

Rachel,

Being a heart healthy advocate! I have always said that if I could help change or touch just one persons lifestyle (the way they eat and exercise) then I would be a great success in this life. It is very difficult to do and usually only a life altering experience or a lifetime can help
make this change.

Keep up your good work and resolve.

Dave-

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Aunt Ruth, I had tears in my eyes as I walked out of the theater last night, knowing it would be the last time I would collaborate with this gang. They were just the sweetest, saying things like, "I love you! You're the best Yogi in the world!" Gabrielle said, "Whenever I see you, I just think, 'She's an angel.'" I left feeling so appreciated, connected and inspired. I brought some Finding Nemo stickers that said things like "Well Done!" "Good Job!" and gave them all a sticker after the performance. It's amazing how excited even adults get over stickers!

Dave, you have definitely touched me! I think of your strength and resolve almost every day. I have been eating better and better, taking very good care of myself- but I'll admit, I need to run more! You are an inspiration, and never underestimate how powerful your influence is in the lives of people you connect with:D