Monday, October 29, 2007

Time Together this Summer


So, I need to revert back to the very beginning- my birthday (June 26). This is our living room, and yes, those are my paintings- simple, calming and natural. But, most importantly, that's my birthday present from Wyatt and Zabrina in my arms. Two beautiful skirts that their mother, Taira, picked out in Hawaii and gave to the kids to give to me:D Their Mom is 100% native Hawaiian, and Swede is 100% Swedish- so they are lovely muts, affectionately, of course.


So, after Woody, Swede's father, left us in Eureka, CA, we journeyed about 15 miles south to a beautiful National Redwood Campground. Here's a picture of a Redwood now... "Hello, snail:D" We sort of had to watch where we walked- they were everywhere!


Here I am cooking as the kids do their thing.


So, I am trying to teach Wyatt the importance of pitching in and doing his part. Zabrina has got that down- always offering to help. In Eureka, we stopped at a Dutch Boys to grab some coffee and I noticed about 200 blackberry bushes in the parking lot- so I gave Wyatt a chance to earn his keep.


And when there's nothing else to do, you may as well learn to tie knots so complicated your hair turns gray. But the kids are good sports.


How could you resist taking lessons from that face?


We cruised down Highway 1 until we reached the Pismo Beach campground. I could have spent several days here, but we had to fight tooth and nail just to get two nights! We didn't have reservations.




Swede knows how to enjoy himself! We all had hammocks. In fact, Wyatt accidentally did a 180 in his. I think he was going for a 360 and missed the mark.


But the best part about this campground is that the Ocean is just a 5 minute walk through the sand!


Roxi and I are just hinging out together, when here comes Wyatt...


I remember doing this up at the cottage. Jump in the water and cover myself in sand!


You should have seen his Seaweed Monster routine. I created a make-shift seaweed whip to make sure my Monster behaved himself. No one even noticed how ridiculous we looked... a grown lady chasing a Seaweed Monster around the beach cracking a seaweed whip. Oh well, we tried.


The minute Swede hit the beach, he was building. I never realized how much creative energy he has built up inside of him. I hope we can put his skills to use some day.


We never saw our shovel again after this day, bless her heart. She dug many latrines for us.

8 comments:

Gipsy Ing said...

Beautiful! I loved this post. What a treasured time spent together.

Love the seaweed creature and the idea of the whip routine. haha When I was little and we went to the beach often, I would always find and drag along this sea kelp (the ones that have a big "bulb" at one end and the tail that trails back sometimes going as far as six feet or so. And I would be covered in sand. My grandparents have a picture somewhere of me and my sister and I holding the trophy sea kelp.

I am so happy that you got to have this trip for such wonderful memories it holds. I know Zabrina and Wyatt will have these memories for years to come.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Yes, I know this seaweed you describe. It's huge! Lot's of theatrical uses for it. I would love to see that picture of you and your sister posted on your blog- as well as other pictures of her if you can get them scanned. That would be really sweet. I bet there is some beautiful poetry there.

I am so happy for this trip, too. Next year I'd like to make reservations for a campground on the beach for 4-5 days and open it up to friends to come and stay. If you don't have to worry about leaving, getting up at the crack of dawn to try to reserve a spot, it's so much more relaxing.

But, despite the fact that we had to move from spot to spot on a daily basis, never knowing where we were going to end up next, we did have some great times- I have proof!

Unknown said...

i am so jealous! i want to go camping so very badly. what a lovely vacation you had, i love seeing photos of you and your life out there. thank you for sharing. you look so happy.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Yes, happy I ams!!! I just got out of town twice this week- once to California to film the San Diego fires and then to the Rim of the Grand Canyon to get some other film footage- write-off - not that I'm making enough money to pay taxes anywho! But, once the film is done we will!

Ruth said...

We had so much fun camping with the kids, RK. It's like playing house outside. The beach looks like a blast, these photos are extraordinary! That last one, omg!!

Your kids are going to remember this forever and treasure it.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Yes, we are always thinking of fun places we can take them, to always expand upon their view of the world, the limitless possibilities. Thanks for the compliment- I love that picture- it reminds me of Uncle Bennett's photography. I thought I knew how to have fun- these kids keep me on my toes!

Ruth said...

Yes, I can see why the pic reminds you of Uncle Bennett. Me too. He was great at getting that sunset light (I don't think he saw sunrise too often, except maybe after being up all night in the dark room).

I love it that you, Aunt Bootsie, Paul, and I reference Bennett's work.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Me, too:D