Thursday, September 6, 2007

Our Special Spot

I have been procrastinating in getting my summer adventures posted. Well, not actually procrastinating, just overwhelmingly busy!

Swede, Wyatt, Zabrina and I went to Provo, UT to visit Swede's familia. The four of us all have distinctly unique activities we like to involve ourselves in on any given day. Swede likes to run, lift weights and read. Wyatt likes to swim, fish and eat. Zabrina likes to knit, swim and go to the movies. I like to meditate, run, swim and read. So, we had to figure out a way that we could all get what we wanted out of the days we were to spend together over the next month.

We devised a special plan. In the mornings, each of us received three pieces of paper to write what we wanted to do that day. We put the pieces of paper in a bowl and drew them out one at a time. We then discussed how we could all do what we liked. Well, 95% of the days activities, we found, could be fulfilled at our special spot.


I must say, this picture is a pretty good representation of it, but not quite as pristine. I did not take any pictures of our special spot. But, there was a weeping willow on the edge of a stream with soft grass, not the grass that feels like needles under your feet like we have in Tempe. We put our blankets under the weeping willow, and everyone was able to proceed doing exactly what they wanted!


Wyatt was able to fish from the stream. Zabrina and I bought floatie toys and had our fun drifting down a more tame part of the stream.


A running trail goes for miles alongside the river. I ran my longest distance on the trail: six and a half miles!!! I met my friend, Dave, on the trail. He has popped into my blog. He is a tennis star, who runs 10 miles a day on the Provo Canyon Parkway, and he also eats 120 different foods a day!!!


During the run, I passed the Bridal Veil Falls. So tired, it was my honor to bow before them.

For nearly two weeks, Wyatt, Zabrina, Swede (how could I forget Roxi???) and I made all of our dreams come true at what we like to call "our special spot."

Thanks for the beautiful memories guys.

7 comments:

rauf said...

You have some lovely spots here Ra chel,
its nice to have company. We have friends for various reasons starting from childhood. common likes is one of the reasons.
Group activity is powerful. most constructive and most destructive.
but group activity has limits. i avoid, though i have lots and lots of friends.

Gipsy Ing said...

What a marvelous time you and Swede, Zabrina, Wyatt and Roxy must have had! Sounds like a perfect way to spend some quality time together enjoying each other and also pursuing the delights of the day. Is it the first time you used the special spot or has it been used before in previous visits?

Ginnie Hart said...

What a brilliant way to figure out how all needs could be met, RK. Good for you. I love this post!

Ruth said...

I keep hearing from Lisa in my office how beautiful your area is. I can get the feel of the pristineness from your photos. It makes me happy that you get out into it so often. Good job.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Rauf- Yes, I do also avoid group activities- or at least, I am very selective about it:) There was once a time in my life when I loved crowds, but now, they just make my head hurt. Busy restaurant experiences- I avoid 'em! I like quiet, but from your other post, I see there is definitely an edge of quiet that becomes disconcerting! Some would call what you described the brink of Nirvana, and perhaps that is the reason so few ever experience true Nirvana, because to do so, one must become equanimous with the physiological and psychological horrors that await one who realizes that reality is not as one thinks.

Ingrid, it was so fun to have you on vacation with us, and as you can imagine, it's even wilder with the kids!

Aunt Ginnie, yes, we try to make all things a game when possible- it does make the times seem so much freer and funner!

Aunt Ruthy, I just love all the wonderful ways you enjoy your environment, too. You inspire me- and if I can inspire you, then I lika you and you lika me and we lika just the same:)

Dave said...

Rachel,

Thanks for the kind words. I just have to make a couple of corrections. I probably only eat about 40 to 50 food types a day. At one time in my life I was a good tennis player and I am starting to play again. I am throughly enjoying it. I gave up tennis and starting jogging back in 1978. I have jogged well over 70,000 miles in my life but am now reduced to walking/jogging due to tendonitis in both my achilles heals which is almost gone. I do go ten miles every day and sometime more. I threw my watch away 17 months ago.
If you want to talk about American lifestyle, I wish everyone could throw their watch away. I read something that Rauf wrote to you that hit home with me real hard.
Looking for ways to explain the meaning of life. It's all inside yourself and the flow of blood in your body. You can control the insights to this wonderment by the way you eat and the way you exercise. I really believe it is that simple.

So keep yoga ing and get your heart pumping a little faster than normal everyday.

Dave-

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Dave, I had a feeling I might have been exaggerating, as many story-tellers do.

50, 100- to me, you are a hero either way! I'd love to spend a day in the kitchen with you! Hey, wouldn't that make a fascinating illustrated book?!

I agree, Rauf is incredibly insightful, and hilarious! Do you ever check out his blog (Daylight Again). Lots of good stuff to read there!