Wednesday, September 19, 2007

On the Road Again
















So, after spending many pleasant afternoons in Our Special Spot in early July, the time came to hit the road again. This time, Swede's father, Woody, would be joining us.

Woody has never seen the Redwoods, and this would be his first chance to drive up the California Coastal Highway. Set to Depart on a Tuesday, we drove two hours West and were nearing the edge of the Salt Flats in Utah, when Swede's Dad pulled off the highway (Zabrina and I had a car to ourselves and were following the boys).

Swede had forgotten his guitar?!@#

They could go back to get it and Zabrina and I could drive on slowly without them, and pull off the road somewhere to wait for them, was the plan Swede came up with in an effort to inconvenience us the least. It didn't sound safe to me- I would rather return with them and stay together. The decision was to turn around and go back to Orem, and leave early in the morning.

This purpose was a little far removed from the limited life experience of Wyatt and Zabrina, who cried passionately, begging to ride with me, to keep driving, to keep moving, ensuring that Dad and Woody would meet up with us soon. Of course, I would not give in and ensured them that our detour had a purpose we may never understand.

I explained to Zabrina, in an attempt to make sense of her sniffles and tears that this would not be the last time in her life that she had made such great progress, only to have to turn around and go back, to start all over. It happens to the best of us! The lesson: pay attention.

Back in Orem, we sat out on the deck and enjoyed the evening breeze, and then we watched "1 Giant Leap," one of my favorite movies, a wisdom series on various subjects like spirituality, death, sex, etc., with World Music as a guide. Yes, we were up until about 3am- but, still ready to travel at 7am!

























It felt good to pass the marker where we had turned around the night before. It felt like we were finally flowing again.

























We ventured merrily into the desert, where we unexpectedly encountered the smoke of the Southwest Wildfires eerily surrounding our path. We had seen it on the news the night before, and now we turned on the AM radio to listen to what was happening all around us. It didn't take long before we saw the fire ourselves, blackening what little vegetation the desert had to offer.














The fires had crossed over the highway during the night, and there was a certainty that the reason Swede had forgotten his guitar was to avoid this natural disaster and the inconveniences and possible dangers associated with it.

















Zabrina and I traveled alone together, following the boys, amazed by the power of fire. I was inspired to teach her the Gayatri mantra:

oṃ bhūr bhuvaḥ svaḥ
tát savitúr váreniyaṃ
bhárgo devásya dhīmahi
dhíyo yó naḥ prachodáyāt

which roughly translates,

O God, Thou art the giver of life, the remover of pain and sorrow, the bestower of happiness; O Creator of the Universe, may we receive Thy supreme, sin destroying light; may Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.




















The Milford Flat fire, pictured above, which consumed over 363,000 acres (about the size of Los Angeles), was the largest wildfire in Utah's history.


There is a story of Hatsumi that Swede tells often. A student approached Hatsumi and asked what he would do if he were tied up, had a gun pointed at his head in point range, while being carried up a mountain in a wheel barrel. Hatsumi replied, "I would not show up in the first place."























This philosophy was imparted to me by my father, John Hart. When I was a girl, my father informed me as to the dangers of the world, and he advised that I prevent myself from winding up in a situation where anyone or anything had the opportunity to inflict harm upon me. For this reason, I use my sixth sense to sniff out any possibility of danger, and walk the path furthest from it.

On the rare occasions that I have been hurt, I can honestly say that I was not honoring the advice my father had given. But, when I said no to Wyatt and Zabrina's pleas to continue through the desert that night, it was obvious to me that my father was guiding me.














So, this takes me back to 1 Giant Leap. We returned to Orem, UT, just in time to watch the last FREE showing of it on Direct TV. Since Swede and I were so excited about it, the kids questioned the validity of it (you know how parents can be). But, the kids really enjoyed it, and we had some extremely intellectual discussions based on the content.

But, now I can look back and see even more purpose. This story has led me to talk about my father, to express my appreciation to him. And as I search for images on the web, I am brought to the words of a song from 1 Giant Leap by Maxi Jazz and Robby Williams called "My Culture":

When I look back over the years
At the things that brought tears to my eyes
Papa said we have to be wise to live long lives

This is what my Daddy told me
I wished he would hold me
A little more than he did
But he taught me my culture
And how to live positive
I never wanna shame
The blood in my veins and bring pain
To my sweet grandfather’s face, in his resting place
I make haste to learn and not waste
Everything my forefathers earned in tears

For my culture

This is just an excerpt, all the words can be read at: http://www.geekroar.com/leopoldo/2004/02/06/lyrics-my-culture-by-1-giant-leap/

and you can even watch the video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiwW7E800hk

HAPPY 55th BIRTHDAY, DAD!

14 comments:

Ruth said...

What a birthday gift, RK. He must be pleased to know he's given you something also. He sure does have a lot of common sense. Happy Birthday JohnJohn. I was just getting ready to send him an e-card when I came here first.

Lots of love.

Ginnie Hart said...

I had an early pop-up reminder first thing this morning, RK, about your dad's birthday. So I'm glad your e-mail and post didn't take me by surprise. So glad you were able to share your story for his special day!

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

The lyrics of this song further talk about coming home, and I had intended on thanking you both, because through you, I am able to come home to my family.

Ruth said...

RK, that makes me happy.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

me, too:DDD

Gipsy Ing said...

What a special entry! And a tribute to your father. For one to know that they impart at least one teaching and/or wisdom is a great honor, I think.

It marvels me how things work out like this in your story. How could Swede forget his Guitar?! He had to in order to avoid the dangers that were ever so present on the horizon. And you so intuned to that danger. But then at the same time the detour also brings about some more lessons to be learned and experience to be had together.

I cannot believe you were that close to the fires. Goodness.

I just got a book that I brought from the CA Coastal Commision. They do book series of different parts of the coast for camping, hiking, walking, beachcombing, etc. etc. etc. I brought the one from Monterey to Ventura County. If we only had it for our Labor day weekend! But then again, if we did, I sure would not have returned yet. I would have disapeared on Sabbatical. haha. But I am taking off a significant (at least to me in the prameters for work leave) chunk of time at Christmas. I think I am going to take charge and tell my parents we are spending all of those days in CA right on the coast there. We will see what manifests though with Dad's "retirement" and "new job" front.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

That is wonderful that you and your family will be spending time together.

If you have any time to spend with me, that would be wonderful.

Yes, I love the way life unfolds layers of beauty and significance.

Gipsy Ing said...

Is the plan still solid for Swede coming in October? Are you coming? What is the schedule like for the workshop?

And what about in December when Swede goes on his hike/sit? What are you doing? Your own retreat? What are your plans? I am asking because I do realize you might be getting somewhat lonely if staying in Tempe all by yourself (and with Roxy).

I dropped the suggestion about the CA thing with my Dad. He had a firm NO WAY. Apparently CA is not that appealing to him. And since my mom is taking off almost three months from work, she has to go back to work when I take off my time. And because my mom's side of the family is becoming more Pacific Northwest located rather than San Francisco.... I am sure I will be in that neighborhood for the the holidays. I am trying to work out a few details because I am taking off a bit of time so need to decide when the dates are and need to do it soon for the work acceptability!

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Well, I am thinking about doing my own retreat, but I am not really sure where, etc. Are you interested in doing something with me? Maybe we could do a sit together in California while Swede does his in Seattle? Maybe you and I could do the California tour from your book together. I had such a great trip with my friend Lora this summer, and it made me realize that traveling with a girl-friend can be so much funner because there aren't any of the stresses involved.

So just let me know if you are interested, and we can go from there:)

Gipsy Ing said...

Yes, I am interested!!! Just need to figure out the logistics I guess. The main part is where for me I will be. It will all depend on my parents.... where are they going to be. I want to visit with them through the New Year. I need to do a sit/retreat as well. But of course have not figured out the details. For sure I will be taking off days from the 22 December through 6 January. I will be spending with family through the New Year. And after that I had wanted to do a mini retreat. But actually still debating about the extra week. Take off 7-11 January but calculating to see if that is fesible with money income. And at the same time I know I need that week off as well to give my mind a good mental break from this work.

But first I need to check with you and what your window of opportunities are and what you also had in mind. If I did just through 6 January, I would come back on the 1 Jan. and then have the rest of the week/weekend to do something. Did you have an area in mind for the retreat/sit or tour?

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Well, Swede will probably sit January 27th or something like that- and that would be a good time for me. Being self-employed, my schedule is extremely flexible! I think it would be cool to do it on our way to the sit, because last time, we saved our play until after the sit, and I couldn't wait to get the bleep out of there so that I could go see the ocean. Plus it will be like a trip to Mecca if we do it that way:)

I guess I'll have to go online to see where the sits are:) You do that, too, and we'll compare ideas.

Gipsy Ing said...

I have been looking around at the dates for the sits. It is a bit tight for me just because my job is not so flexible and finanically a little tight for two chunks of time off. BUT...... I really need to take the time off from this crazy job to visit family (Christmas time) and do a sit.

So last night I was looking at the time frame for the sit in North Forks (23 Jan-2 Feb). Is the 2 Feb the day we leave after the sit or do we leave on the morning of the 3? I cannot remember how it went timewise. I like the idea of playing or rather doing a "mecca" kind of journey to the sit. So the dates I am thinking to take off will be 19 Jan-4 Feb (and I would start work again on the that Tuesday 5 Feb). Is that ample time for driving back?

Let me know so I can turn in the papers for leave of absence with the company.

Unknown said...

as completely sad and difficult to grasp it is, those fires....the photos are absolutely beautiful. it must have been breath-taking.
you are on the other side of the country, experiencing things so different from this east coast of mine. i love seeing your life.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

I'd love to say that I actually took the time to pull my camera out of my suitcase, which was burried in my trunk to take photos, but as is common in my life, I usually just fully experience the best moments without dilly dallying around with cameras as much as I used to. Believe me, there are definitely times when I want to post a blog and wish I had a picture that I am tempted to feel regret, but I know it is as it should be. And Google Images usually has something pretty close to the real thing:)