Sunday, May 27, 2007

Camelback Mountain

http://www.robertbody.com/arizona2/images/2003-03-camelback-sunset.jpg

Yesterday morning, Swede and I arose at the crack of dawn, 5:30, and made our way to Camelback Mountain to hike. Can you see from the picture above how Camelback got its name?



You can start at the head and work your way up the steep neck to the top of its hump on the Echo Canyon Trail. Or you can take the relatively relaxing hike up its backside on the Cholla Trail. The trails are named after the streets leading to the trail heads.


This home is directly across the street from the Cholla trail head. When the weather is not so hot, the people inside do actually use this space quite regularly. It's fun to spy and see what lifestyles of the rich and famous are up to.



This is a new sign, not usually up. We have mostly Africanized Bees in Phoenix, which are dangerous I hear. But, since a child, my Mother taught me that Bees will not harm you if you do not show fear or agression. So, I have always welcomed Bees to land on me to explore me as if I were a flower. It doesn't take them long to realize I am not made of pollen.

Speaking of Bees, my Aunt Ruth posted an entry titled "honeybees: colony collapse disorder," a read I highly recommend.



Early enough to catch the lawn mower.



Slowly making the incline, the golf course comes into full view.
We should have left at 4:30.
The sun has already risen and it is 90 already!



We like to stay hydrated. I forgot Roxi's bowl and
had to improvise with a plastic baggy.



Swede is already working up a sweat, and we aren't even pushing it! Usually, Swede wears these tiny little shorts and his headphones and runs all the way up the camel's back, over the hump and down it's neck to the other side! Then he runs back up. By the time I have only reached the top and make it back down the same side, Swede will have caught up with me! He's an animal!



Speaking of animals- we ran into this Iguana on the trail- a rare treat! Seconds after taking this shot,
he retreated into his 5-star hole in the rock.



Here is a view of the Phoenician, a five-star resort. We live in Tempe, slightly beyond the boulders on the far right. The little mountain to the left of those boulders is A Mountain,
just walking distance from our home.



A close-up for those of you who like to dream:)



Well, it's been awhile since I hiked, and my limbs are numb. I think this is as far as I will go today.
Want to make it down before it's too hot.



On our descent, I noticed a Rattle Snake peaking it's head out from around the shadow of a rock, right on the trail. I have been hiking in this desert for nearly seven years now, and stories is all I have ever known of Rattle Snakes. Today, I actually saw my very first!

We met a couple of neat people who were just as thrilled to see a Rattler on the trail: David Wagner and Robert Hansen.

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:rT7DaKqpY7SkSM:http://photo.net/bboard-uploads/001mtt-6590584.jpg

From our brief interaction, Swede and I had the sneakiest suspicion that they had climbed Mount Everest. When we checked out their website, we noticed their motivational video "Reaching For New Heights," was all about working together, accountability, passion for excellence, creation of value, and changing the world by reaching for new heights- specifically the heights of Mount Everest! Did our new friends take this footage themselves?

7 comments:

rauf said...

Camelback Mountain is a beautiful name, Expensive looking resort Rachel, you have taken a picture of it and i can't even dare to peep into such places. iguana and the rattle snake is indeed a treat, we don't have rattle snakes here. i have suffered dehyderation when i misjudged the trek and did not carry water, like you are trekking along the river and you think you have plenty of water at your disposal, but the trek takes you away from the river. You cannot afford to sacrifice on water. i cut down other weight but carry additional water.

Gipsy Ing said...

This recalls one of our hiking adventures when Josh was with us going up Squaw Peak.... it was already hot out and it was 9am in the morning.
I think that is so cool that you saw an Iguana and a rattle Snake. In all of my treking adventures I have never come across rattlesnakes. I think that is a rare treat.
And to meet some folks who climbed Mount Everest. Are there a lot of people who have climbed that mountain or no?

Ginnie Hart said...

What a lovely photo journey of your special hike, dear Rachel! These are memories to be proud of. I'm especially glad that I'm getting to meet Swede through these posts. One day I hope to actually meet him! :)

Ruth said...

Thank you for taking us on this trek, and I'm not even breathing hard! What beautiful views. I can't believe you saw a rattle snake! And it is WAY fun that you met the Everest hikers! I'll check out their site at work where I have high speed.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Rauf: Yes, very expensive resort. I think of you when I see the vast swimming pools filled with water. They say there is a shortage of water in the desert, but you wouldn't know it. There are fountains and swimming pools in nearly every back yard! Luckily, I have never been in a situation where I was short on water. People are so friendly around here- there is even a man who carries lots of water and dixie cups, giving away water to first-time hikers who probably didn't think of bringing water on their own. I am quite acclimated and could hike the whole mountain without a drop of water, but of course, that would be foolish:)

Ingrid: Yes, you know how rare the rattle snake find is! Swede is always telling me to watch out- don't hike through this or that- well, I have to tell you, I have never been afraid to run into one accidentally, and don't really take much precautions, except for keeping my ears at full alert. My life in the desert is complete. I can leave now:)

Aunt Ginnie: I am sure you will meet Swede one day. Did I tell you that we have a bunch of shows of your Scandinavian cruise lined up? Yes, we performed two last week and have one tomorrow, and several in the month of June.

Aunt Ruth: The funny thing is, I don't know if they actually have climbed Everest. We didn't talk about it- after we parted ways, Swede just said, "I think they've climbed Everest," speaking from his 6th sense. And I thought, "Yea, they did have that type of character, didn't they?" Then their website seemed to confirm. I emailed the gentlemen my blog address, so we'll see if we get an answer!

Unknown said...

how amazing for you to have this in your backyard! i am quite envious. only tall buildings for me. more urban hiking. i loved being a part of this hike, living vicariously through you.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Thanks Lesley, I also enjoy my visits to New York:)