Wednesday, May 16, 2007

A Nap Can Do Wonders


Yesterday, I decided to take a nap before going to my last pottery class at The Farm. I attribute that nap to the incredible amount of creative energy I unfurled.

(A piece Rachel made last week, another student in my class)

First of all, a friend in my class taught me how to use the close-up setting on my new little digital camera, releasing the inner photographer that lay dormant since the gift of this camera entered my life last Christmas. As Dave says, "It's amazing what reading the directions will do."

My instructor, James Pyper, has built his own kiln out of found objects and sand, something the desert has plenty of. As kind as he is, he gave me permission to do pottery with my Art class at New Samaritan, firing our work for half the price of the wood. What a swell guy:)

So, my class worked hard, and this is what they came up with.


























(My apologies to any students whose pieces did not show up here- I took those pictures before I learned to use the close-up setting)

Once I used up most of the good lighting to take pictures of their work, I decided to see if this new close-up feature I had learned on my camera would work on flowers and other treasures around the farm, like James' old Ford crammed full of wood for the kiln.



So long Dave, Christine, Rachel and James.

I'm a born again photographer.














**** Please Note****
These are not FREE RANGE chicken.
I encourage you to find FREE RANGE eggs.
PLEASE:)

CAGE FREE is not the same as FREE RANGE.
They are still caged, just not in tiny compartments.












Mixed greens in their natural environment.


I love fuzzy wuzzies!






My dog, Roxi and I delighted for about an hour in taking pictures around the farm.




A Pecan Tree Grove.


Happy little pecan- perfectly delicious.


It's starting to get dark, as Roxi and I make our way back to the Artists' Studio, the little red cottage in the very back of this picture up above.


On our way back, we enter the enchanted nursery.


The darkness brings shapes to life.


A maiden, turned to stone, guards the gift shop.


But I am still able to sneak a peak.



Almost there, just past the Retreat.


We even slipped into the Art Gallery. Above is a piece by my teacher- the one that inspired my candle.


This mask is by another artist featuring his work at The Farm


And then, I had just enough time to return to pottery class and learn to use the wheel.


I cannot tell you the thrill of holding clay between your hands as it spins on the wheel. It's tactiley delicious.


I don't have pictures of any more of
my work, except for this necklace piece I made.
It is not quite finished yet.

Once my work is fired, I'll let you see it.


14 comments:

rauf said...

Beautiful pictures Rachel, with close up settings you can go still closer. It takes a little time to focus. Requires a bit of patience. Most of your pottery pictures look three dimentional which is a great achievement. you chose good lighting, which brought the three dimentions. You have to take a little care working against the light and avoid light falling on the camera. You can hold your palm little above the lens to avoid flare which has appeared in a couple of pictures.
Please observe Ruth's Choice of subjects. You have to work on composition. please take your time for still life. You have done pretty well Rachel. The picture of potter's wheel in motion is terrific. Our potters use manually operated wheel here. i have posted a few pictures a few months ago
THE POTTER

Ruth said...

Oh, Rachel!! This is fabulous! The farm is such an inspiration. Of all the things I saw in your delightful photos, I most love: art produced out of inspiration and creativity, the unmotorized red tractor, old washing machine, gorgeous trunk, larkspur, hollyhocks, sunflowers, YOU, night shots of the shop and the al fresco setting, the potter's wheel, and the amulet you made! Did you know that design comes from Irish Celtic roots? I think even from Newgrange, where I visited, but I'll have to look into that.

Great fun! Thank you!!

Ruth said...

I was right. It's an Irish megalithic symbol from Negrange. You can see the design at this Web site for Newgrange: http://www.knowth.com/newgrange.htm

Ruth said...

You probably already knew that!! :)

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Rauf- Thanks for redirecting me to this entry of yours! I love the way the people doing pottery look so genuinely happy. It doesn't look like a chore for them. Too bad that more potters did not survive the "progress."

Thanks so much for the insights on photography. I can't help but look at Aunt Ruth's photos- they are amazing!!! And yours are, too! Thanks for the tip about the palm above the lens- I'll be trying that one next!!! I'll keep working at it:)

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Yes, Aunt Ruth, I knew it was a celtic symbol- I just love their art! But, I am very greatful for the website you provided! When I get home from school today, I shall endulge in exploring the Tomb of Newgrange!

Thank you for putting to words so eloquently what I photographed. I will have to look up larkspur and hollyhock because I didn't even know what the names of the plants were!

Gipsy Ing said...

what wonderful pictures Rachel with all of the flowers! I marvel at the student's creations. I will look forward to see more of your pottery creations.

I had pottery in elementry school. I loved it. To feel the clay in my hands, continually to wet my hands as I progressed on my works and then left my hands unwashed because I liked to feel the caked clay on my fingers and palms. So wonderful.

rauf said...

Ruth is scaring me now, she is going to write another daVinci Code. These symbols are beyond me.
i say 'oh !' nothing more than oh
i don't waste time Rachel, in split second i say
i don't know
i am so fast in saying i don't know
i am a champion 'i don't knower' Rachel
i don't like to tax my brain, i like to keep it as light as possible.
i find great deal of relief in saying i don't know
i avoid thinking and worrying.
My sister is a professional worrier
She is a mother, so worrying is natural. but most of her worries are avoidable. she has health problems. she takes lots of medicines.

You see the symbol i use ?
square and circle red and yellow ?
i was shocked with number of mails i received asking me what does it signify. i had a hard time explaining that it means nothing, i just put two circles in a square.
some people did research on it, saying that it signifies this that, pages with diagrams in such detail. All i did was scatch my head and said thank you to all of them.
i am a champion head scratcher too Rachel.
I see that you don't have any symbol on your profile, i'll mail you some Rachel

you won't belive the word verification i have to type
FRLQACK

Ginnie Hart said...

And now she is gonna go crazy berserk with taking pics! I love it. :)

I love your creative energy, Rachel and am so glad you're finally doing a blog. We all knew it would be like this, didn't we!

Ruth said...

dear Rachel, I do hope you'll read about Newgrange. The people who built it (5000 years ago, mind you) created the entrance to the tomb so that the sliver opening (you can barely crawl through; an obese person would never make it in) would allow a stream of light in twice a year for a few days only, to fall on the basin inside. When we were there, crowded into the tomb with other tourists, they recreated it by turning off the lights and a simulation. It was incredible.

Unfortunately we can't afford any longer to pay people to take such care with constructing any sites, let alone sacred ones.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

What amazed me about the Tomb is that so few people actually see it every year. And, that only 50 people get to see it during the equinox! It's so cool that they do a lottery to make it fair for everyone to have a chance.

Going to that website only increased my curiosity and soon I'll be researching the significance of the triple spiral symbol.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Ingrid- I have noticed that since doing pottery I have been seeing the world in clay. I see the textures of the trees, buildings and everything else as if I had sculpted them myself, and I imagine everything the color of clay. It's a fun thing to do while driving.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Rauf, you are a nut! That is hilarious how your symbol has people going! I would love it if you sent some symbols to me. The problem I have is that I don't know how to upload a symbol for myself. I was going to do that- but never figured it out. I could go back and try again. I like the answer: "I don't know; how about if you go look it up and then let me know what you find." Yes, I agree, Aunt Ruth will have to write a novel someday based on her research and adventures. BTW- I have a google account now- MissRachelHart@google, just in case you are inspired to send music.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Thanks Aunt Ginnie- It's great to be inspired!