Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Farm at South Mountain


This is how the mountains look at about 5:45pm, on my way to my pottery class, which is held at The Artist's Studio at the Farm at South Mountain.

The sun is getting ready to settle down for the evening and the wind is starting to kick up dust.



As you can tell in the photo above,
we don't have many vegetable farms around these parts!


The Farm at South Mountain is a rarity.



It's become a retreat from the city, within the city.

There are cafes, restaurants, a healing arts retreat, an artist studio, outdoor yoga, shops, gardens, weddings, pecan groves, fresh air (well, we imagine it is),
and the sounds of birds chirping.


Once inside the Artist's Studio, this is the centerpiece that drives creativity.














This is my work of art.
I wanted to make a candle holder that created beautiful shadows on the wall. I didn't have a solid design in mind- just thought I would play around and see what happened. During the process, it started to dry out quite a bit. A piece chipped off at one point. A very important piece. So, I decided to go with it. We are going for the aged effect, so I started ruthlessly chipping, allowing the process of decay to unfold.


And so here it is, the final product. I can't wait to see how it looks after it has been fired. Mostly, I want to watch the shadows dancing on the wall!

9 comments:

Gipsy Ing said...

I cannot wait to hear how your work of art comes out.... the shadows on the walls and what shapes they cast. That is the wonderful thing about creating something from a block of clay. It becomes alive in your fingers and after awhile a shape is created and molded. Like magic. Is this your first piece?

rauf said...

Shadows on the wall, good idea Rachel, depends on the souce of light to create those shadows. Better to keep one source of light while working to get desrired result.

beautiful pictures there Rachel, the sunset and the horses, the vegetable garden. Your pottery class must have some good daylight coming in. Camera flash kills the atmosphere and the texture is lost. Next time please disable the flash.

Pottery is meditation. One of many ways to relax. You don't have to sit in a particular way as recommended to meditate. cooking is meditation. You can meditate in NY stock exchange. When you channelise all your thoughts and energies in one direction is meditation.

rauf said...

Rachel, the last two pictures are not loading, i tried refresh F5
but still not loading.

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Hmmm... I see the two blocks, but there really aren't two last pictures. I am puzzled as to what those are myself:)

I have a new camera, and I am not sure how versatile it is. It's a Kodak EasyShare C743. I can turn the flash off though. Next week I'll give it try and see if it looks richer. Thanks for the tips:)

Yes, I do not get enough meditation in with my busy life. But, this weekend I am doing a three-day yoga retreat with the Himalayan Institute. Are you familiar with this organization? The retreat is led by Pandit Rajmani Tigunait, Ph.D., the spiritual head of the Himalayan Institute, the successor of Swami Rama of the Himalayas.

Ginnie Hart said...

How wonderful, Rachel, to have an oulet like this. Believe it or not, we have a piece that was given to us years ago that is very similar to the one you did. It's amazing. I know you will love seeing the light through the cracks.

BTW, I have loaded a front and back pic to my post on the house, just for you! :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with rauf, those first two photos are spectacular. All the photos are really great, and I love seeing the hands on pottery work. Your candle holder is so creative, of course! You are an inspiration. I hope you will show us a photo after it's fired and glazed, and when it has a candle! A photo of the shadows on the wall would be splendid. Please! (I'm sure you were already planning this.)

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Yes, indeed! Today, I made a necklace with a celtic symbol on it. I think I might start making jewelry- it's fun to wear, and fun to give away:)))

Anonymous said...

Your candleholder is very charming indeed! I'm also interested in seeing the shadows cast by it; perhaps setting your camera on a tripod and taking a long exposure will capture the effect properly (if your camera can do that). Your Artist's Studio looks like a wonderful place. I'll certainly make a point of visiting the next time I'm in Tempe! :)

Mrs. SwedeHart said...

Hi Judith, where are you now?